The Potty Problem in Puppies
Training puppies is a hard task, they are too playful, and it’s just so hard for you to resist them. But as a responsible pet owner, you have to keep in mind that the earlier you train these cute ones, the better. The earlier you teach them, the lesser you have problems with their behavior. Potty training is one of the usual and most challenging courses you have to go through. But don’t you worry because we’ll you get through it.
First you’ll need a crate. Make sure that it’s comfortable, safe and just the right size for your puppy, or you may have a small pen area with comfortable dog bed, fresh water and a couple of chew toys.
Now you’re ready to start the potty training:
- Choose the spot outside where you would like your puppy to go to potty
- Keep your puppy in his crate, pen area or even tethered to a chair where you are at. Confine him. Every 60 minutes take your puppy straight to the designated toilet area outside. Carry him or walk out on leash.
- When you reach the toilet area, walk back and forth or circle around. At the same time say and repeat a cue word you would like to attach to the act of your dog eliminating. This helps them associate the word to the act.
- If your pup does eliminate, continue to repeat your cue word and the instant your dog finishes potty, praise and reward him with a small tasty treat. If after 3-4 minutes of circling around your puppy shows no signs of needing to eliminate take him back inside (put in crate or pen), and try again after twenty minutes.
- Immediately after a successful toilet trip outside, you can allow your puppy some free play time (under supervision) in the house, then place him back in his crate or pen area.
- Continue with this 60-minute puppy house training schedule this prevents any mistakes, at the same time establishing good habits in your little buddy.
- At night, don’t feed him close to bedtime and take away his water before you go to bed
- After each meal (15 minutes after) , take your puppy outside to go potty. They feel like eliminating 15 minutes after meals.